Arenal Volcano with Monteverde Option
When it emerged from dormancy in July 1968, the Arenal Volcano destroyed the small town of Tabacon. Since then it’s provided quite the show although it has recently quieted down to just the occasional steam or smoke eruption. The volcano is a spectacular thing to see and there are many viewpoints where you can still see some smoke coming out of the crater. And the area has become a must-see for Costa Rica with the huge variety of nature, adventure or relaxing opportunities.
There are daily departures from hotels on the Caribbean Coast, San José and most Pacific Beach towns.
You will travel in a comfortable a/c microbus to La Fortuna, a small town next to the volcano, where you will be dropped off at your selected hotel. The first afternoon and evening you have time for check-in and exploring the charming little town on your own.
The next day, you will be picked up at 8 a.m. to visit the La Fortuna waterfall by horseback.
Or choose a different tour (or more than one!) You can visit the Arenal Hanging Bridges, do the famous Sky Trek/Sky Tram Zipline/Canopy tour, go on an ATV adventure where you get to explore the jungle on your own ATV, or explore the Lost Canyon on a Canyoneering Adventure.
In the afternoon you will explore the famous 1968 Trail to learn more about the history of the eruption and get some stunning views of the volcano. After the hike you can relax in the wonderful Los Lagos Hotsprings (or choose Tabacon or one of the other options), enjoy the hot pools in a tropical garden setting and conclude the night with an extensive dinner buffet.
Your tour ends in Arenal. We can also add additional nights of accommodation in Arenal so you can explore on your own or we can arrange transport on to San Jose, the Pacific Coast or to the Puerto Viejo area.
Add Monteverde to Your Package!
Continue your trip from Arenal with a crossing by boat of Lake Arenal. The trip across Lake Arenal is part of the fun; transportation from your Arenal hotel to the boat and from other side of the lake to your Monteverde hotel is included.
We'll bring you to your hotel in Monteverde by lunchtime so you'll have time to explore the area (or you can choose an afternoon departure from Arenal). The Monteverde Cloud Forest is world renowned for its beauty and is an incredible place to stroll the jungle rich with life; maybe you'll even spot the elusive Quetzal, the rare and resplendent bird which is Guatemala's national symbol.
While you're there, you can choose to explore on your own or we'll pick you up for a tour to explore the cloud forest. Choose from an afternoon canopy and zipline tour, a guided hike of the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve or a twilight tour, giving you an opportunity to see nocturnal animals.
Transportation to Monteverde and 1 night hotel starts from just $72 per person depending on hotel chosen and your dates. Choose from any of our Monteverde hotels such as Hotel Claro de Luna, Hotel Arco Iris or Hotel Belmar.
* Note: depending on where you're starting from and where you're going from here; we may reverse this itinerary. Interbus first to Monteverde then shuttle and boat to Arenal. That is because onward transport options from Monteverde and Arenal vary so let our agents choose the best itinerary for you. If you have a preference let us know in your booking form comments.
|Depatures:||Daily from your hotel in San Jose, most Pacific beach towns, Cahuita or Puerto Viejo in the Caribbean|
• The standard package is at the San Bosco or similar in downtown La
Fortuna. Features swimming pool, A/C, Cable TV, private bath, wireless
internet, breakfast included.
• For a different experience, try an upgrade to more resort styled accommodations such as the Arenal Volcano Inn or Silencio del Campo. These properties are located out of town, a little closer to the volcano in mountain and garden settings. Your package price will be adjusted for the difference in room rate between the San Bosco and the chosen hotel.
• Substitute Tabacón Hotsprings+Resort for Los Lagos Hotsprings - add $62 pp
• No tour to waterfall (if you'd like to leave early 2nd day or do something else we can remove this) - subtract $65 pp
• Visit the Arenal Hanging Bridges - substitute this for waterfall tour for no additional charge or add it for $65 pp
• Sky Adventures canopy/zipline tour including hotel pickup - substitute for waterfall tour for $25 pp or add it for $90 pp
• ATV adventure where you get to explore the jungle on your own ATV - substitute for waterfall tour for $20 p/p or add it for $85 p/p
• Lost Canyon Canyoneering Adventure - substitute for waterfall tour for $30 p/p or add it for $95 p/p
|Duration:||Three days/Two nights. Additional days can be added.|
|Cost per person:||
High season Dec 16, 2013 - Apr 30, 2014: $293 p/p with San Jose or (most) Pacific beach towns pickup, $303 p/p with Caribbean pickup
Low season May 1, 2014 - Dec 15, 2014: $278 p/p with San Jose or (most) Pacific beach towns pickup, $288 p/p with Caribbean pickup
• Microbus Transportation
your hotel in San Jose or most Pacific or Caribbean beach towns to Arenal.
• Two nights of lodging based on double occupancy at a hotel San Bosco in La Fortuna (private bath, hot water, jacuzzi, swimming pool) or your chosen hotel option (price difference applicable). For single occupancy an adjustment for the extra room cost will be added. For triple or quad occupancy, your rate will be reduced accordingly.
• Hike along the 1968 Trail
• Entrance to and dinner at Los Lagos Hotsprings
• Tour to the waterfall on horseback
• Taxes and Gecko Trail Adventures service charge'
|Not included:||• Return or onward transportation from Arenal, this tour ends in Arenal or onward transport can be added for an additional charge.|
|Cost per person:||$25 per person plus the cost of the hotel night(s) chosen as an add-on to Arenal package|
|Accommodations:||Includes accommodations at any of our recommended Monteverde hotels. If you have another hotel in mind, let us know and we'll advise if we can book that for you and what the price difference would be.|
• Minibus/Boat/Minibus transportation
your Arenal hotel or Monteverde hotel (or other direction)
• One night (or more, as selected) of lodging at a hotel in Monteverde (private bath, hot water, breakfast)
• Add Sky Adventures canopy/zipline tour including hotel pickup - $77.5 p/p
• Add Monteverde Cloud Forest hike - $67 p/p
• Add Monteverde Twilight Hike - $26 p/p
|Not included:||Return or onward transportation from Monteverde, this tour ends in Monteverde (or Arenal if tour order is reversed).|